As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires, the following meanings apply:
(1) “Agency” means a department, office, agency, board, commission, institution, instrumentality, or other organization, in the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the government.
(2) “Archives” means those official records or other items that have been determined in accordance with this chapter to have sufficient historical or other value to warrant their continued preservation by the government, and have been deposited or offered for deposit with the national archives and records service, pending establishment of a government archives.
(3) “Archivist” means the archivist of American Samoa.
(4) “National Archives and Records Service” means the national archives and records service of the General Services Administration of the government of the United States of America.
(5) “Public records” as defined by subsection 46.4601(g) includes the definition of archives and records of this chapter.
(6) “Records” means a document, written or printed book, drawing, map or plan, photograph, microfilm, sound recording, magnetic media or other documentary materials, regardless of physical form or characteristic, made or received by an agency of the government in pursuance of law or in connection with the transaction of public business and preserved or appropriated to be preserved by that agency or its legitimate successor as evidence of the organization functions, policies, decisions, procedures, operations, or other activities of the government or because of the informational value of data in them. Excluded from this definition are library and museum materials made or acquired and preserved solely for reference or exhibit, extra copies of documents preserved only for convenience of reference, and stocks of publications and of processed documents.
(7) “Records management” means all phases of management from the creation of records to final disposition, including transfer to the national archives and records service.History: 1982, PL 17-32 § 2.