Vacancies can either be filled competitively or noncompetitively.
(a) Competitive procedures apply to the following types of actions:
(1) Selection of a nongovernment employee to either a permanent or temporary appointment;
(2) Promotion of an employee in the career service, except under circumstances specified under subsection (b) of this section;
(3) Reinstatement of a former ASG employee who has completed his probationary period in the career service, to a higher grade position than the candidate's last position or to a position with known promotion potential;
(4) Selection of a government employee who is currently on an emergency appointment to a temporary or permanent position;
(5) Selection of an employee who is in a nonsupervisory position to a supervisory position.
(b) Noncompetitive procedures apply to the following types of actions:
(1) Promotions of an employee for which competitive procedures were used at an earlier date, such as:
(A) career promotion(s), reassignment, etc., made under training agreements approved by the office of manpower resources;
(B) career promotion(s) of employees up to the full performance level position in the career ladder;
(C) career promotion(s) of employees in an understudy position to the target position;
(2) Promotion(s) of incumbents to positions in the competitive service reconstituted in higher grades because of:
(A) change in classification standards;
(B) error in the allocation of the original positions;
(3) Repromotions of employees to positions or grades from which demoted without personal cause or to intermediate grades below the grades from which demoted;
(4) Conversions to a different pay system without change in duties and responsibilities;
(5) Reinstatement of a former ASG employee who has completed his probationary period in the career service to the same or similar class that he held previously in the government;
(6) Transfer of employment from one department to another department. If such transfer also involves promotion, promotion procedures apply.History: Rule 10-81, eff 29 Jul 81, § 3.3.