A. Vacancies can either be filled competitively or non-competitively, competition procedures apply to the following types of actions:
1. Selection of a non-ASMC Authority employee to either a permanent or temporary appointment.
2. Promotion of an employee in the career service except under circumstances specified under (Section 2.3 B).
3. Selection of an employee in the career service for detail to a higher graded established position in the career service for more than 30 calendar days.
4. Reassignment of a career service employee to another position, in the career service with known promotion potential.
5. Reinstatement of a former American Samoa Medical Center Authority employee who has completed his probationary period in the career service to a higher grade position than the candidate’s last position or to a position with known promotion potential.
6. Selection of an LBJ-ASMC Authority employee who is currently on an emergency appointment to a temporary or permanent position.
B. Non-competitive procedures apply to the following types of actions:
1. Promotions of an employee for which competitive procedures were used at an earlier date, such as:
a. Career promotion(s), reassignment etc., made under training agreements approved by the Human Resources Division.
b. Promotion(s) made after competitive selection for detail.
c. Career promotion(s) of employees up to the full performance level position in the career ladder.
d. Career promotion(s) of employees in an understudy position to the target position.
2. Promotion(s) of incumbents to positions in the competitive service reconstituted in higher grades because of:
a. Change in classification standards.
b. Error in the allocation of the original positions.
1. Reinstatement of employees to positions of grades from which they were demoted without causes to intermediate grades below the grade from which demotion was based on.
2. Lateral reassignment between positions with no promotional potential.
3. Reinstatement of a former American Samoa Medical Center Authority employee who has completed his probationary period in the career service to the same or similar class that was held previously in LBJ¬ASMC Authority.History: Rule 06-98, eff. Mar. 3, 1999