(a) Application for a motor vehicle license shall be made to the Commissioner on forms as the Commissioner may prescribe.
(b) No motor vehicle license may be issued without:
(1) payment of the prescribed motor vehicle license fee;
(2) presentation of a valid inspection certificate issued pursuant to 22.1201 et seq.;
(3) certification of insurance coverage as required by 22.2001 et seq., provided that such coverage will be effective for the period of the license;
(4) issuance of a valid motor vehicle registration.
(c) Upon satisfactory compliance with the provisions of this section the Commissioner shall issue 2 decals to the applicant which decals denominate the period for which registration is effective and are to be placed on the license tags.
(d) The following vehicle license registration fees are established:
(1) motor vehicle, including private vehicles, cargo vehicles, buses, motorcycles, taxis, trailers, tractors and rentals, $32.00; plus per ton of weight, $12.00;
(2) bicycle, $2.00;
(3) renewal for motor vehicle, $32.00;
(4) Legal Ownership Certificates and Titles, $10.00;
(5) Transfers, $10.00;
(6) Shipments, $10.00;
(7) Conversions, $12.00;
(8) Duplicate titles, $10.00;
(9) Late penalties, $9.00.
(e) For the purposes of subsection (d), the definitions in 22.0101 apply.
(f) The Commissioner shall issue 2 license tags to each applicant:
(1) registering a vehicle not registered in the Territory in the preceding 5 years; or
(2) whose tags have been lost or stolen, upon proof of same. The fee for replacing lost or stolen tags or plates shall be $22.00.
(g) For purposes of this section only, a total of $7.00 from each fee paid shall be placed in a revenue fund for the Department of Public Safety for law enforcement costs and maintenance and supplies for production of driver licenses and vehicle registrations.History: 1963, PL 8-6; 1969, PL 11-49; 1972, PL 12-65 § 1;amd 1977, PL 15-41 § 1; 1980, PL 16-57 § 2; amd 1980, PL 16-80 § 1; 2005, PL 29-13.
Amendments: 1977 Subsections (a) and (c): substituted “Commissioner” for Treasurer”.
1980 Paragraph (d)(l): added fee for ton of weight.
Subsection (e): added.
Subsection (c): amended.
Subsection (f): added.
See 27.0242 for administration and enforcement of subsection (d).
Licensing of a car requires proof of liability insurance, and only licensed cars may be driven on public highways, so that use of public highways is effectively conditioned on maintenance of insurance. A.S.C.A. §§ 22.1001, 22.1002. Pu’u v. Lepule, 8 A.S.R.2d 68 (1988).