(a) Subject to the provisions of this chapter, the Board may:
(1) issue registers and certificates of inspection (hull and machinery) for the operation of vessels;
(2) issue licenses for masters, pilots, and engineers after appropriate written and oral examinations as determined necessary by the Board;
(3) maintain records of Board proceedings and preserve copies of documents issued under this chapter;
(4) make all necessary inspections of vessels, boilers, and pressure vessels, tramways, aerial cables, and all stationary or marine engines in furtherance of the provisions of this chapter;
(5) promulgate rules necessary to effectuate the purposes of this chapter;
(6) hold hearings, compel attendance of witnesses order the production of documents and other tangible evidence and administer oaths; and
(7) refuse to issue, and revoke, suspend, limit or modify, a register, certificate of inspection or license provided for in this chapter.
(b) Subject to the provisions of this chapter the Board shall require an owner of a vessel engaged in commercial marine transportation for interisland travel to carry public liability insurance covering cargo and passengers in an adequate amount as determined by the Board.History: 1971, PL 12-34 § 5; 1971, PL 12-63 § 1;amd 1978, PL 15-68 § 2; amd 1981, PL 17-15 § 3.
Amendment: 1978 Paragraph (4): added boilers and pressure vessels, tramways, aerial cables, and all stationary or marine engines”.