A vessel shall not be required to be numbered under this chapter if it is:
(1) a vessel which has a valid marine document issued by the Bureau of Customs of the United States Government or any federal agency successor thereto;
(2) already covered by a number in full force and effect which has been awarded to it pursuant to federal law or a federally approved numbering system of another state; provided, that such vessel shall not have been within this Territory for a period in excess of 90 consecutive days;
(3) a vessel from a country other than the United States temporarily using the waters of this Territory;
(4) a vessel owned by the United States, the Government of American Samoa, a state or a subdivision thereof;
(5) a ship’s lifeboat:
(6) a vessel belonging to a class of vessels exempted from numbering by the department of port administration after said department has found that the numbering of vessels of such class will not materially aid in their identification; and, if an agency of the Federal Government has a numbering system applicable to the class of vessels to which the vessel in question belongs, after the Department of Port Administration has further found that the vessel would also be exempt from numbering if it were subject to the federal law.History: 1966, PL 9-35.